What is Legalisation?
Legalisation is carried out to certify a document or documents so that they will be recognised by the legal system of a foreign country in this case Rwanda and this mostly applies to International Commerce.
Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on a UK public document is genuine. Legalisation is usually required by foreign authorities before they will allow a UK document to be used for official purposes in their country (RWANDA).
Requirements for documents to be legalised:
- The documents are required to have a signature and seal from a Notary Public to verify to the authorities in Rwanda that the relevant checks have been carried out.
- We require that the documents are then further authenticated by the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office as they are the only authority competent to issue an Apostille (the official certificate attached to the document) in the UK and to confirm validity of the notary’s signature and seal.
- Proof of Payment of £50.00 into High Commission Bank account with details below
- If you require an appointment at the High Commission for finalising the legalisation of your documents please book an appointment here:
Please specify the type of document you require legalising and add any further relevant details.
BOOK A LEGALISATION APPOINTMENT:
- Letter of Power of Attorney MUST include full contact information i.e. address, telephone and email of the principal (person giving the power) and of the nominee(s) (person receiving the power).
- A copy of your passport
- A copy of your Rwandan ID (if applicable)
- Proof of address (utility bill or bank statement)
- Proof of ownership of property (if applicable)
- Proof of parental/kinship responsibility (if applicable)
- If you wish for your documents to be collected by Proxy, please provide a written consent with a copy of ID and proof of address of the proxy. The proxy will also need to present proof of I.D. when collecting.
FOR POWER OF ATTORNEY:
Account name: High Commission of Rwanda Consular Account
Sort Code: 60-83-03
IBAN: GB95GTBI60830323389012 | SWIFT Code: GTBIGB2L
Address: GT Bank, 62 Margaret Street, London, W1W 8TF.
Please use applicant’s name as payment reference
- Please Note: The person receiving the documents also has to show proof of identification to be considered.